- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- About 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon nonfat milk or water
- 1 pound skinned, boned fish fillets (such as catfish, orange roughy, or rockfish), about 1/2 inch thick
- Cooking oil spray
- 1/4 cup nonfat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- Hot sauce
- calories 233
- caloriesfromfat 33 %
- protein 20 g
- fat 8.5 g
- satfat 1.7 g
- carbohydrate 17 g
- fiber 0.9 g
- sodium 321 mg
- cholesterol 38 mg
How to Make It
Place a 10- by 15-inch nonstick pan in a 500° oven until pan is hot, about 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, on a plate mix cornmeal, paprika, pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
In a shallow bowl, beat egg white and milk to blend.
Rinse fish fillets, pat dry, and cut into serving-size pieces.
Coat fish with egg white mixture, then cornmeal mixture. Set aside in a single layer.
When pan is hot, mist lightly with cooking oil spray. Quickly arrange fish pieces well apart in pan. Bake until fish is browned on bottom, 3 to 4 minutes. Turn over and continue baking until fish is golden on top and opaque but still moist-looking in thickest part (cut to test), 2 to 3 minutes longer.
Meanwhile, mix mayonnaise, pickle relish, onion, and vinegar to make tartar sauce.
With a wide spatula, transfer fish to plates; add salt to taste. Serve with tartar sauce and hot sauce.