Mini Cornmeal Cakes with Heirloom Tomato Relish
With tomatoes fresh from the garden, these Mini Cornmeal Cakes with Heirloom Tomato Relish appetizer treats encompass the full flavors of the season's best produce.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 25 Minutes
- Calories: 69
- Fat: 2.5g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 2.5g
- Carbohydrate: 9.2g
- Fiber: 1g
- Cholesterol: 26mg
- Iron: 0.7mg
- Sodium: 201mg
- Calcium: 24mg
- 2 small heirloom tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped (about 1 pound)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1.75 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1/3 cup)
- 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 1/2 tablespoons whole buttermilk
- 1 large egg, separated
- Cooking spray
- Remaining ingredient:
- 4 teaspoons crème fraîche or reduced-fat sour cream
- 1. Combine first 6 ingredients.
- 2. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level. Combine flour and next 3 ingredients (through 1/4 teaspoon pepper) in a medium bowl. Combine buttermilk and egg yolk; add milk mixture to flour mixture, stirring with a whisk just until moist.
- 3. Place egg white in a bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until medium peaks form. Fold one-fourth of egg white into buttermilk mixture. Gently fold in remaining egg white.
- 4. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Lightly coat pan with cooking spray. Spoon about 1 tablespoon batter per pancake into pan, spreading slightly. Cook 1 minute or until tops are covered with bubbles and edges begin to set. Turn and cook 1 minute. Repeat with remaining batter for a total of 16 pancakes. Top each pancake with 1/4 teaspoon crème fraîche and 1 1/2 teaspoons tomato relish. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This
Food & Wine