- 2 small heirloom tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped (about 1 pound)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1.75 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1/3 cup)
- 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 1/2 tablespoons whole buttermilk
- 1 large egg, separated
- Cooking spray
- Remaining ingredient:
- 4 teaspoons crème fraîche or reduced-fat sour cream
- calories 69
- fat 2.5 g
- satfat 1 g
- monofat 0.7 g
- polyfat 0.3 g
- protein 2.5 g
- carbohydrate 9.2 g
- fiber 1 g
- cholesterol 26 mg
- iron 0.7 mg
- sodium 201 mg
- calcium 24 mg
How to Make It
Combine first 6 ingredients.
Weigh or lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level. Combine flour and next 3 ingredients (through 1/4 teaspoon pepper) in a medium bowl. Combine buttermilk and egg yolk; add milk mixture to flour mixture, stirring with a whisk just until moist.
Place egg white in a bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until medium peaks form. Fold one-fourth of egg white into buttermilk mixture. Gently fold in remaining egg white.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Lightly coat pan with cooking spray. Spoon about 1 tablespoon batter per pancake into pan, spreading slightly. Cook 1 minute or until tops are covered with bubbles and edges begin to set. Turn and cook 1 minute. Repeat with remaining batter for a total of 16 pancakes. Top each pancake with 1/4 teaspoon crème fraîche and 1 1/2 teaspoons tomato relish. Serve immediately.