Cornish Hens With Port-Cherry Sauce
More From Health
Amount per serving
- Calories: 272
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2g
- Protein: 33g
- Carbohydrate: 13g
- Fiber: 1g
- Cholesterol: 147mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 243mg
- Calcium: 29mg
- 2 (1 1/2-pound) Cornish hens
- 1 teaspoon Spanish smoked paprika (available at specialty-food shops)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme, divided
- Cooking spray
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced red onion
- 1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup port or other sweet red wine
- 1/4 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/3 cup dried cherries
- Additional thyme sprigs (optional)
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°.
- 2. Remove giblets and necks from hens. Rinse with cold water; pat dry. Remove skin; trim excess fat. Split hens in half lengthwise. Combine paprika, next 3 ingredients (through pepper), and 1/4 teaspoon chopped thyme; rub on hens.
- 3. Place hen halves, breast sides up, in a shallow roasting pan coated with cooking spray; place a thyme sprig in the cavity of each bird.
- 4. Insert a thermometer into meaty part of a thigh, avoiding the bone. Bake at hens at 400° for 35 minutes or until thermometer registers 165°. Transfer hens to a platter; cover with foil.
- 5. To prepare sauce, place a zip-top plastic bag inside a 2-cup glass measure. Pour drippings from broiler pan into bag; let stand 10 minutes until fat rises to top. Seal bag; carefully snip off 1 bottom corner. Drain drippings into a small bowl; discard fat. Set drippings aside.
- 6. Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 3 minutes.
- 7. Combine broth, port, 1/4 teaspoon chopped thyme, cornstarch, cherries, reserved drippings, and any juices accumulated on platter; add to pan, and cook 5 minutes. Serve hens with sauce; garnish with additional thyme sprigs, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes