Cornish Hens With Barley-Mushroom Stuffing
Photo: Tina Cornett; Styling: Mary Lyn Hill
- 3 (1 1/2-pound) Cornish hens
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup uncooked barley
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh mushrooms
- 3/4 cup chopped water chestnuts
- 4 green onions, chopped
- Garnish: green onions
- Place hens in a large heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag.
- Stir together soy sauce and next 3 ingredients; pour into cavities and over hens. Seal and chill, turning often, 3 to 4 hours.
- Bring barley and broth to a boil in a saucepan; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat; stir in mush-rooms, water chestnuts, and chopped green onions.
- Remove hens from marinade, reserving marinade.
- Stuff hen cavities with barley mixture, reserving extra mixture. Place hens, breast side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan.
- Bake at 375° for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted into stuffing registers 165°, basting occasionally with reserved marinade. Serve with reserved barley mixture. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This