Cornish Hens With Barley-Mushroom Stuffing
Photo: Tina Cornett; Styling: Mary Lyn Hill
- 3 (1 1/2-pound) Cornish hens
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup uncooked barley
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh mushrooms
- 3/4 cup chopped water chestnuts
- 4 green onions, chopped
- Garnish: green onions
- Place hens in a large heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag.
- Stir together soy sauce and next 3 ingredients; pour into cavities and over hens. Seal and chill, turning often, 3 to 4 hours.
- Bring barley and broth to a boil in a saucepan; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat; stir in mush-rooms, water chestnuts, and chopped green onions.
- Remove hens from marinade, reserving marinade.
- Stuff hen cavities with barley mixture, reserving extra mixture. Place hens, breast side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan.
- Bake at 375° for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted into stuffing registers 165°, basting occasionally with reserved marinade. Serve with reserved barley mixture. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes