We all enjoyed this for Thanksgiving, but we didn't need nearly as much of the corn flakes mixture as the recipe stated. Half would have done it. Making again!
Cornflake, Pecan, and Marshmallow-Topped Sweet Potato Casserole
Photo: Beth Dreiling Hontzas; Styling: Amy Burke
More From Southern Living
2 Hours, 30 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 267
- Fat: 7.9g
- Saturated fat: 3.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Protein: 3.7g
- Carbohydrate: 46.7g
- Fiber: 3.6g
- Cholesterol: 35mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 302mg
- Calcium: 69mg
- SWEET POTATO FILLING:
- 2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 5 medium)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Vegetable cooking spray
- CORNFLAKE, PECAN, AND MARSHMALLOW TOPPING:
- 1 1/4 cups cornflakes cereal, crushed
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 1/4 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1. Prepare filling: Preheat oven to 400°. Bake sweet potatoes on a baking sheet 1 hour or until tender. Reduce oven temperature to 350°. Let potatoes stand until cool to touch (about 20 minutes); peel and mash with a potato masher.
- 2. Beat mashed sweet potatoes, 2 Tbsp. softened butter, and next 5 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Spoon mixture into an 11- x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- 3. Prepare topping: Stir together crushed cornflakes cereal and next 3 ingredients. Sprinkle over sweet potato mixture in diagonal rows 2 inches apart.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Remove from oven; let stand 10 minutes. Sprinkle miniature marshmallows in alternate rows between cornflake mixture, and bake 10 more minutes.
- More Irresistible Options
- Golden Meringue-Topped Sweet Potato Casserole: Omit Cornflake, Pecan, and Marshmallow Topping. Bake Sweet Potato Filling at 350° for 30 minutes. Remove from oven; let stand 10 minutes. Beat 4 egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer until foamy. Gradually add 1/4 cup granulated sugar, 1 Tbsp. at a time, beating until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Spread meringue over sweet potato mixture; bake 10 more minutes or until golden. Hands-on Time: 30 min.; Total Time: 2 hr., 40 min.
- Per serving: Calories 216; Fat 3.8g (sat 2.1g, mono 1.1g, poly 0.2g); Protein 4.8g; Carb 41.3g; Fiber 3.1g; Chol 31mg; Iron 1mg; Sodium 271mg; Calc 66mg
- Pecan-Topped Sweet Potato Casserole: Omit Cornflake, Pecan, and Marshmallow Topping. Pulse 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour and 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar in a food processor until combined. Add 1 Tbsp. cold butter, cut into small pieces, and process 45 seconds or until mixture resembles coarse meal; stir in 1/3 cup finely chopped pecans. Sprinkle mixture over Sweet Potato Filling in baking dish. Bake at 350° for 40 to 45 minutes or until topping is golden brown. Hands-on Time: 20 min.; Total Time: 2 hr., 20 min.
- Per serving: Calories 267; Fat 8.8g (sat 3.4g, mono 3.5g, poly 1.4g); Protein 3.7g; Carb 44.5g; Fiber 3.6g; Chol 35mg; Iron 1.4mg; Sodium 256mg; Calc 75mg
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note