- 3 cups 1/4-inch cubes rye bread
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- Dash Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon pickle relish
- 1 hard-cooked egg, chopped
- 3 scallions, white bulbs and green tops chopped and reserved separately
- 1 head green leaf lettuce (about 3/4 pound), torn into bite-size pieces (about 2 1/2 quarts)
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce (about 1 pound), torn into bite-size pieces (about 1 1/2 quarts)
- 1/2 pound sliced corned beef, cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips
How to Make It
Heat the oven to 350°. Put the bread cubes on a baking sheet and toss them with the oil and 1/4 teaspoon each of the salt and pepper. Bake, stirring occasionally, until the croutons are crisp and starting to brown, 5 to 10 minutes.
In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add the pickle relish, the egg, and the scallion bulbs and stir to combine.
In a large bowl, toss together the lettuces, scallion tops, and corned beef. Serve topped with the dressing and the croutons.
Variations:: · Instead of the corned beef, add strips of deli pastrami, ham, or turkey.: · Use romaine instead of iceberg lettuce.
Wine Recommendation: Since the trade embargo was lifted in 1991, South African wines have become readily available here. The country's unique pinotage, a red grape created by crossing pinot noir and cinsault, has rich red-berry flavors and a hint of earthiness.