Holy moly! This was delicious. I made it for Thanksgiving and will definitely be bringing it back for Christmas. I used fresh onion and celery and omitted the peppers and pecans.
Cornbread Stuffing With Sweet Potato and Squash
Photo: Beth Dreiling Hontzas; Styling: Sissy Lamerton
More From Southern Living
Total: 1 Hour, 57 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 274
- Fat: 9.6g
- Saturated fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.9g
- Protein: 6.6g
- Carbohydrate: 42.4g
- Fiber: 6.9g
- Cholesterol: 27mg
- Iron: 1.9mg
- Sodium: 504mg
- Calcium: 81mg
- 1 cup frozen diced onion, red and green bell peppers, and celery
- 2 small garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 2 medium-size sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning, divided
- 2 (14-oz.) cans low-sodium fat-free chicken broth, divided
- 1 (8-oz.) package cornbread stuffing mix
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- Garnish: fresh or dried sage leaves
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. Sauté frozen onion mixture and garlic in 1 Tbsp. hot oil in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat 2 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 2. Stir in squash, next 5 ingredients, 1 tsp. Creole seasoning, and 1/4 cup water. Cover, reduce heat to medium, and cook, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes or until squash and potatoes are tender. Stir in 1 can chicken broth.
- 3. Remove from heat; cool 15 minutes. Stir together stuffing mix, egg, and remaining 1 can chicken broth and 1 tsp. Creole seasoning in a medium bowl. Fold into cooled squash mixture. Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
- 4. Bake, covered with aluminum foil, at 375° for 25 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with pecans; bake 20 minutes or until dressing is thoroughly heated and pecans are toasted. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables