Cornbread, Sausage, and Pecan Dressing
- 1 (16-ounce) package ground pork sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large celery ribs, chopped
- Basic Cornbread, crumbled
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry sherry or chicken broth
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
How to Make It
Cook sausage in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring until it crumbles and is no longer pink. Remove sausage, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings in skillet. Drain sausage on paper towels.
Sauté onion and celery in hot drippings over medium-high heat until tender. Remove vegetables with a slotted spoon.
Combine sausage, vegetables, cornbread, and remaining ingredients in a large bowl, stirring gently until moistened. Spoon into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
Bake, covered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated.