this recipe is very accurate :)
Photo: Jennifer Davick; Styling: Lydia Purcell
More From Southern Living
- 3/4 pound chorizo sausage, casings removed (about 3 links)
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 jalapeño peppers, minced
- 1 cup self-rising white cornmeal mix
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1. Sauté chorizo in an 8-inch nonstick omelet pan or skillet with sloped sides 7 to 10 minutes or until browned. Remove from skillet, and drain on paper towels. Wipe skillet clean.
- 2. Melt 1 Tbsp. butter in skillet, and sauté green onions, bell pepper, and jalapeño peppers over medium-high heat 3 to 5 minutes or until tender. Transfer to a bowl; stir in chorizo. Wipe skillet clean.
- 3. Whisk together cornmeal mix, buttermilk, milk, all-purpose flour, and 1 large egg.
- 4. Coat skillet with cooking spray; melt 1 Tbsp. butter in skillet over medium-high heat, rotating pan to coat bottom evenly. Pour about 1/3 cup cornmeal mixture into skillet. Tilt pan so uncooked portion flows around to coat bottom of pan, cooking until almost set, bubbles form, and edges are dry (about 1 1/2 minutes). Gently flip with a spatula.
- 5. Sprinkle 1 side of omelet with about 1/2 cup onion mixture and about 3 Tbsp. cheese. Fold omelet in half; cook 30 seconds or until cheese is melted. Transfer to a serving plate; keep warm. Repeat procedure 4 times with remaining butter, cornmeal mixture, onion mixture, and cheese. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch