Cornbread Griddle Cakes
Don't get confused and buy a cornbread mix; it won't work in this recipe. If you're out of time, buy cornbread muffins from the deli. Split them in half from top to bottom; use each half in place of one cake.
This recipe goes with Assemble-Your-Own Barbecue Stacks
More From Southern Living
- 2 cups yellow self-rising cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1. Stir together all ingredients just until moistened. Pour 2 Tbsp. batter for each cake onto a hot, greased griddle or large nonstick skillet. Cook cakes 2 to 3 minutes or until tops are covered with bubbles and edges look dry and cooked; turn and cook other side (about 2 minutes).
- Note: To make ahead, place cooked griddle cakes on baking sheets. Cover and chill up to 24 hours. To reheat, bake at 300° for 8 to 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note