- Buttery Cornbread
- 6 bacon slices
- 4 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 6 cups torn day-old bread (6 slices)
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 to 4 cups chicken broth
How to Make It
Prepare Buttery Cornbread; cool and crumble. Set aside.
Cook bacon in a large skillet until crisp; remove bacon, drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in skillet. Crumble bacon, and set aside. Sauté celery and onion in bacon drippings in skillet 10 minutes or until tender.
Combine crumbled cornbread, bacon, sautéed onion mixture, bread, and remaining ingredients in a large bowl; stir well. Spoon dressing into a 13" x 9" baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 45 minutes or until golden.