love this dressing have been making it for years...
Cornbread Dressing Loaf
- 1 cup butter or margarine, divided
- 3 cups white cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 7 large eggs
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 3 cups soft breadcrumbs (we tested with 6 slices Pepperidge Farm white sandwich bread)
- 2 medium onions, diced (2 cups)
- 1 large bunch celery, diced (3 cups)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh sage
- 2 (10 1/2-ounce) cans condensed chicken broth, undiluted
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- Place 1/2 cup butter in a 13" x 9" pan; heat in oven at 425° for 4 minutes.
- Combine cornmeal and next 5 ingredients; whisk in 3 eggs and buttermilk.
- Pour hot butter into batter, stirring until blended. Pour batter into pan.
- Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool. Crumble cornbread into a large bowl; stir in breadcrumbs, and set aside.
- Melt remaining 1/2 cup butter in a skillet over medium heat; add onion and celery, and sauté until tender. Stir in sage; sauté 1 minute. Stir vegetables, remaining 4 eggs, chicken broth, and pepper into cornbread mixture. Fill a lightly greased 9" x 5" loafpan with 8 cups unbaked cornbread dressing. (Prepare Cornbread Dressing Croquettes with remaining dressing.) Press into pan firmly; invert dressing loaf onto a baking sheet, and remove pan.
- Bake at 375° for 1 1/2 hours (or until internal temperature reaches 160°). Cool overnight. Slice into 1/2" slices. Place on lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 30 minutes. Cool completely on baking sheet. Top toasted cornbread slices with turkey and cranberry sauce and your favorite sandwich fixin's.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads