I added an egg and substituted sage for marjoram. This will be my new dressing recipe.
Cornbread Dressing with Smoked Bacon and Pecans
More From Southern Living
Total: 1 Hour, 50 Minutes
- 1/2 cup pecan halves
- 4 ounces applewood-smoked bacon, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 4 green onions, chopped
- Classic Cornbread, crumbled (about 6 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh marjoram
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°. Bake pecans in a single layer in a shallow pan 10 minutes or until toasted and fragrant, stirring halfway through. Remove from oven. Increase oven temperature to 375°.
- 2. Cook bacon in a Dutch oven over medium heat 5 to 6 minutes. (Do not crisp.) Remove bacon, and drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in Dutch oven. Sauté diced onion and next 2 ingredients in hot drippings 8 minutes or until tender. Stir in green onions; sauté 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- 3. Add bacon, cornbread, and next 3 ingredients. Stir together melted butter and broth, and stir into cornbread mixture. Add salt and pepper. Fold in pecans. Spoon dressing into a buttered, shallow 2-qt. baking dish; cover with aluminum foil.
- 4. Bake, covered, at 375° for 25 minutes. Remove from oven, and uncover. Transfer oven rack to highest position. Bake dressing, uncovered, 12 minutes or until top is crusty.
- Recipe brought to the table by chef Frank Stitt of Highlands Bar and Grill in Birmingham, Alabama.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables