Question: seems like a LOT of sausage for the # of servings & amount of cornbread.
No holiday meal is complete without homemade cornbread dressing. To save time, make the cornbread one day ahead.
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 pounds hot breakfast sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 6 (14-ounce) cans chicken broth
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl. Stir in milk, eggs, and oil. Pour batter into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch pan and bake at 425° for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden. Let cool in pan; finely crumble into a very large bowl.
- Brown sausage in a large skillet, in batches if necessary, stirring until it crumbles and is no longer pink; drain, reserving 3 tablespoons drippings. Return reserved drippings and sausage to skillet, and stir in onion and next 2 ingredients. Cook over medium heat 7 minutes or until tender, stirring often. Add sausage and vegetables to cornbread in bowl, and stir well. Pour chicken broth over cornbread mixture; stir well. (Mixture will be wet.)
- Spoon dressing into a lightly greased roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour or until set and browned.
If you like your dressing a little more firm, reduce the amount of broth by 1/2 cup.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note