I have made this for years. I was born and raised in GA and this is the best dressing I have ever had. everyone loves it when I make it and they want it every year.
Deliciously moist and perfectly seasoned, this five-star recipe really has no rivals. It does take a little extra time to prepare cornbread dressing from scratch, but it's definitely worth the effort, and freezes beautifully.
- 1 cup butter or margarine, divided
- 3 cups white cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 7 large eggs, divided
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 3 cups soft breadcrumbs
- 2 medium onions, diced (2 cups)
- 1 large bunch celery, diced (3 cups)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh sage*
- 6 (10 1/2-ounce) cans condensed chicken broth, undiluted
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- Place 1/2 cup butter in a 13- x 9-inch pan; heat in oven at 425° for 4 minutes.
- Combine cornmeal and next 5 ingredients; whisk in 3 eggs and buttermilk.
- Pour hot butter into batter, stirring until blended. Pour batter into pan.
- Bake at 425° for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool.
- Crumble cornbread into a large bowl; stir in breadcrumbs, and set aside.
- Melt remaining 1/2 cup butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add onions and celery, and saute until tender. Stir in sage, and saute 1 more minute.
- Stir vegetables, remaining 4 eggs, chicken broth, and pepper into cornbread mixture; pour evenly into 1 lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish and 1 lightly greased 8-inch square baking dish. Cover and chill 8 hours.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- *1 tablespoon dried rubbed sage may be substituted for fresh sage.
- Andouille Sausage, Apple, and Pecan Dressing: Brown 3/4 pound diced andouille sausage in a skillet over medium heat; drain. Add sausage; 2 Granny Smith apples, chopped; and 2 cups chopped toasted pecans to dressing. Proceed as directed, baking 40 to 45 minutes or until done.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note