This recipe goes with Pot Likker Soup
Southern Living JANUARY 2009
1. Preheat oven to 450°. Coat bottom and sides of an 8-inch square pan with bacon drippings; heat in oven 5 minutes.
2. Whisk together 1 cup cornmeal mix, buttermilk, egg, 1/4 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper; pour batter into hot pan.
3. Bake at 450° for 15 to 17 minutes or until lightly browned. Turn out onto a wire rack; cool completely (about 30 minutes). Reduce oven temperature to 325°.
4. Cut cornbread into 1 1/2-inch squares. Place on a baking sheet; sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper.
5. Bake at 325° for 30 to 35 minutes or until crisp and lightly browned. Remove to a wire rack; cool completely (about 30 minutes). Store in airtight container up to 1 day.
Go to Full Version of