More From Southern Living
Bake: 45 Minutes
Cool: 1 Hour
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings or vegetable oil
- 1 cup self-rising white cornmeal mix
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1. Preheat oven to 450°. Coat bottom and sides of an 8-inch square pan with bacon drippings; heat in oven 5 minutes.
- 2. Whisk together 1 cup cornmeal mix, buttermilk, egg, 1/4 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper; pour batter into hot pan.
- 3. Bake at 450° for 15 to 17 minutes or until lightly browned. Turn out onto a wire rack; cool completely (about 30 minutes). Reduce oven temperature to 325°.
- 4. Cut cornbread into 1 1/2-inch squares. Place on a baking sheet; sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper.
- 5. Bake at 325° for 30 to 35 minutes or until crisp and lightly browned. Remove to a wire rack; cool completely (about 30 minutes). Store in airtight container up to 1 day.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Cornbread Croutons Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes Like This