Cornbread, Chestnut, and Country Ham Dressing
Photo: Iain Bagwell; Styling: Heather Chadduck
Yield: Makes 10 servings
More From Southern Living
Total: 2 Hours, 50 Minutes
- 1/2 cup chopped country ham
- 6 bacon slices, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1/2 medium-size yellow onion, chopped
- Buttermilk Cornbread
- 1/3 cup whole roasted and peeled chestnuts, chopped*
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Sauté ham and bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat 8 to 10 minutes or until browned. Add celery and next 2 ingredients, and sauté 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 2. Crumble cornbread into a large bowl. Stir in chestnuts and ham mixture. Stir in broth and next 5 ingredients. Spoon into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 30 to 40 minutes or until lightly browned.
- *Walnuts or pecans may be substituted.
- Note: We tested with Lieber's Whole Roasted and Peeled Chestnuts.
- Brought to the table by John Zucker of Cru Café in Charleston, South Carolina.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note