Cornbread, Chestnut, and Country Ham Dressing
Photo: Iain Bagwell; Styling: Heather Chadduck
Yield: Makes 10 servings
More From Southern Living
Total: 2 Hours, 50 Minutes
- 1/2 cup chopped country ham
- 6 bacon slices, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1/2 medium-size yellow onion, chopped
- Buttermilk Cornbread
- 1/3 cup whole roasted and peeled chestnuts, chopped*
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Sauté ham and bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat 8 to 10 minutes or until browned. Add celery and next 2 ingredients, and sauté 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 2. Crumble cornbread into a large bowl. Stir in chestnuts and ham mixture. Stir in broth and next 5 ingredients. Spoon into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 30 to 40 minutes or until lightly browned.
- *Walnuts or pecans may be substituted.
- Note: We tested with Lieber's Whole Roasted and Peeled Chestnuts.
- Brought to the table by John Zucker of Cru Café in Charleston, South Carolina.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables