This recipe goes with Classic Cornbread Dressing
Yield: 10 servings or 5 cups coarsely crumbled cornbread
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl. Combine egg, buttermilk, and butter; add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
- Heavily grease a 10" cast-iron skillet with shortening. Place in a 425° oven 5 minutes or until very hot (almost smoking). Remove skillet from oven, and spoon batter into hot skillet. Bake at 425° for 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool in pan. Cover loosely, and let stand overnight.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads