- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl. Combine egg, buttermilk, and butter; add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
- Heavily grease a 10" cast-iron skillet with shortening. Place in a 425° oven 5 minutes or until very hot (almost smoking). Remove skillet from oven, and spoon batter into hot skillet. Bake at 425° for 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool in pan. Cover loosely, and let stand overnight.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note