- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 poblano peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
- 2 cups chopped zucchini
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 (14-oz.) cans low-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup (4 oz.) freshly shredded asadero cheese*
- 1 cup (4 oz.) freshly shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Toppings: chopped cooked bacon, shredded Cheddar cheese, diced red onion
How to Make It
Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add bell pepper and next 3 ingredients, and sauté 4 to 5 minutes or until tender. Add corn, zucchini, and cumin, and sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Gradually stir in broth, stirring to loosen particles from bottom of Dutch oven. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 15 minutes.
Whisk together flour and next 2 ingredients. Stir into corn mixture, and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat to low.
Add asadero cheese, 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese, and salt, and cook, stirring constantly, until cheeses melt and mixture is thoroughly heated. Serve with desired toppings.
*Monterey Jack cheese may be substituted.