Served this for a Mexican dinner club and it was the hit of the night! Loved the smoky flavor of the poblanos with the smooth corn and the kick of the salsa verde. Delicious! Will definitely make it (and the salsa verde separately!!) again!
Corn-Poblano Soup with Salsa Verde
Photo: Randy Mayor; Styling: Mary Catherine Muir
Salsa verde (green sauce) is added to this soup in Mexico to produce a vibrant color and to compliment the underlying flavor of the roasted poblanos.
Yield: 7 servings (serving size: 1 cup soup and 1 tablespoon salsa)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 147
- Calories from fat: 20%
- Fat: 3.2g
- Saturated fat: 1.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 7.6g
- Carbohydrate: 25g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Cholesterol: 12mg
- Iron: 0.8mg
- Sodium: 549mg
- Calcium: 78mg
- 2 large poblano chiles (about 8 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons butter or stick margarine, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup evaporated fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 (10-ounce) packages frozen whole-kernel corn, thawed
- 4 cups Chicken Stock or 2 (16-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- tablespoon Salsa Verde
- Preheat broiler.
- Place chiles on a foil-lined baking sheet, and broil 10 minutes or until the chiles are blackened, turning occasionally. Place chiles in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand 15 minutes. Peel chiles; cut in half lengthwise, discarding the seeds and membranes. Cut into 1/2-inch pieces; set aside.
- Heat 1 teaspoon butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Combine onion mixture, milk, cornstarch, and corn in a blender or food processor, and process mixture until smooth.
- Heat 1 teaspoon butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add corn mixture to pan (mixture will boil vigorously), and cook for 3 minutes. Add Chicken Stock, and bring to a boil. Stir in chiles, cream cheese, salt, and pepper; reduce heat, and cook for 5 minutes or until cheese melts. Serve with Salsa Verde.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Corn-Poblano Soup with Salsa Verde Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Main Dishes, Sauces/Condiments, Soups/Stews
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining
- CUISINE: American, Southwest, Mexican
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Vegetables
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Gluten-Free
- COOKING METHOD: Blender, Food Processor, Broil
- OCCASION: Autumn, Spring, Summer, Winter, Cinco de Mayo
- PUBLICATION: Cooking Light