I have made this twice and it is a hit! Soooooo tasty. The corn fritters are so sweet and a great balance with the tomato and arugula. I Will definitely make again, and will probably keep the fritter recipe on hand for other uses.
Corn Fritters with Roasted Tomatoes and Lime Aioli
Photo: John Autry; Styling: Leigh Ann Ross
For convenience, you can make the tomatoes and fritters in advance, then reheat them to serve. Reheating the fritters in an oven or toaster oven will keep them from being soggy.
Yield: 4 servings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 284
- Fat: 7.8g
- Saturated fat: 1.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.3g
- Protein: 12.6g
- Carbohydrate: 48.4g
- Fiber: 7.4g
- Cholesterol: 49mg
- Iron: 2.9mg
- Sodium: 526mg
- Calcium: 185mg
- 4 ripe tomatoes, halved (about 1 pound)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 2.25 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels (3 ears)
- 1/3 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon cold water
- 4 cups loosely packed arugula
- 4 (1/4-ounce) slices prosciutto
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°.
- 2. Arrange tomato halves, cut side up, on a baking sheet. Drizzle tomatoes with 1 teaspoon oil; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Bake at 375° for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until tomatoes are soft and have lost a lot of their moisture.
- 3. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and baking powder in a medium bowl. Add milk and egg; stir until smooth. Stir in remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper, corn, green onions, and salt.
- 4. Heat 1/2 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Drop batter by level tablespoonfuls into pan to make 6 fritters; cook 2 minutes or until tops are covered with bubbles and edges are golden. Carefully turn fritters over; cook 2 minutes or until golden. Repeat procedure with remaining 1/2 teaspoon oil and remaining batter.
- 5. Combine mayonnaise, juice, garlic, and water. Place 1 fritter on each of 4 plates. Top each with 1 tomato half and 1/2 cup arugula. Repeat layers with remaining fritters, tomato halves, and arugula, ending with fritters. Top each serving with 1 prosciutto slice; drizzle with 4 teaspoons aioli.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note