Yum! I guess they updated the recipe since the other comments, so I tried it. It was tasty, but we thought it tasted more like a fluffy southwestern hush puppy than corn fritters. I'd add a little more corn...and maybe next time even a touch of sugar since I prefer a sweeter corn dish, but this was a fantastic base! Word of warning though, these things soak up oil pretty crazy, so either cook it for a shorter amount of time or make sure to drain well.
More From Allyou
Amount per serving
- Calories: 356
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated fat: 3g
- Protein: 5g
- Carbohydrate: 41g
- Fiber: 2g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 065mg
- 5 cups vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 cups "just add water" pancake mix
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (10 oz.) package frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 fresh jalapeño chilies, seeded and minced
- Pour 2 inches of oil into a 4-quart saucepan. Warm over medium heat until a deep-fry or candy thermometer reads 375°F.
- In a large bowl, whisk pancake mix, cornmeal, salt, pepper, cumin and cayenne. Gently stir in corn, red onion, bell pepper, jalapeño chilies and 1 1/3 cups water.
- With a spoon, scoop about 2 Tbsp. batter and gently push into hot oil with another spoon; avoid splashing oil. Cook 4 or 5 fritters at a time-any more may result in greasy fritters.
- Cook until brown and crisp, 3 to 4 minutes, turning once with tongs to brown evenly. Remove with tongs and drain on a wire rack. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve hot.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This
Food & Wine