- 5 ears corn (7 to 8 in.)
- 1/4 pound sliced pancetta or sliced bacon, diced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups diced red thin-skinned potatoes (about 3/4 lb.), scrubbed
- 1 jar (about 7 oz.) roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
- 6 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 2 oregano sprigs (about 3 in.), rinsed, or 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- Salt and fresh-ground pepper
- calories 373
- caloriesfromfat 46 %
- protein 16 g
- fat 19 g
- satfat 8.1 g
- carbohydrate 40 g
- fiber 5.7 g
- sodium 279 mg
- cholesterol 35 mg
How to Make It
Husk corn, discard husks and silks, and rinse ears. With a sharp knife, cut corn kernels from cobs into a bowl.
In a 5- to 6-quart pan over medium-high heat, frequently stir pancetta until lightly browned and crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer pancetta to towels to drain.
Add onions to pan; stir frequently until they're just beginning to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Add corn, potatoes, peppers, broth, and oregano. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring often. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until potatoes mash easily when pressed, about 15 minutes. Discard oregano sprigs.
In a blender, whirl about 1/3 of the soup mixture (use a towel to hold down blender lid) until smooth. Pour purée back into pan with remaining soup. Add cream and stir until soup is hot, about 1 minute. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Ladle the soup into bowls; top equally with cooked pancetta.