- 1 pound red potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 8 ears fresh corn, shucked
- 1 quart whipping cream
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup fresh English peas
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 bacon slices, cooked and chopped
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Garnish: chopped fresh parsley
How to Make It
Bring potatoes and water to cover to a boil; cook 8 to 10 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
Cut off corn kernels, reserving 4 cobs, and set aside. Place cream in a stockpot over medium-high heat. Add reserved corn cobs, and simmer 40 minutes or until reduced to 2 1/2 cups. Discard corn cobs, and pour liquid through a fine wire-mesh strainer into a bowl, discarding solids.
Sauté shallot in butter 2 minutes or until translucent. Add corn kernels, peas, and sugar; sauté 6 minutes. Add strained cream and reserved cooked potatoes. Stir in bacon and basil, and cook until thoroughly heated. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish, if desired.