Community Recipe from
- 1 corn
- Ham and Corn Chowder
- serves 6, prep 15 min, cook 30 min
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 4 tbsp flour
- 2 cups milk
- 3 cups ham stock or chicken stock (or a combination of both, I used 2 cups ham stock and 1 cup chicken stock)
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 2 cups chopped ham
- 2 cups russet potatoes, small dice (about 2 large potatoes)
- salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 tbsp hot sauce, like Frank’s
- smoked sweet paprika for garnish
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Saute onion, garlic, carrots, and celery until soft.
- Sprinkle with flour and cook, stirring, a couple of minutes or until flour is golden.
- Slowly whisk in milk and stock. Turn down heat as necessary to keep soup at a gentle simmer.
- Stir in corn, ham, and potatoes.
- Simmer soup about 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Smash a few of them against the side of the pot with your spoon.
- Taste soup and season with salt and pepper.
- Add hot sauce to taste and serve. Sprinkle with smoked sweet paprika if desired (oops, I forgot it for the photo).
This recipe is a personal recipe added by davidlehker and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Corn Chowder Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Soups/Stews