Both my husband and I were very disappointed by this dish. The cornbread was very dry, and with the exception of the salsa, the whole dish was very bland. I would make the salsa again, however, and use it on grilled chicken, fish, or pork.
Corn Bread Shortcake with Ham and Fresh Peach Salsa
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 264
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Fat: 7.8g
- Saturated fat: 1.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Protein: 12g
- Carbohydrate: 37.3g
- Fiber: 2.7g
- Cholesterol: 51mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
- Sodium: 679mg
- Calcium: 98mg
- 3 cups diced peeled peaches
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 3 tablespoons minced shallots
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (about 2 1/4 ounces)
- 1 1/4 cups cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large egg
- Cooking spray
- Remaining ingredients:
- 9 (1 1/2-ounce) slices 33%-less-sodium smoked ham
- Cilantro sprigs (optional)
- To prepare salsa, combine the first 9 ingredients in a bowl, and toss gently. Cover and chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- To prepare shortcake, lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 4 ingredients (through salt), stirring well with a whisk. Make a well in center of mixture. Combine buttermilk, oil, and egg in a bowl; add to flour mixture. Stir just until moist. Spoon batter into an 8-inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 5 minutes on a wire rack. Turn shortcake out onto a cutting board or work surface; cut into 9 equal pieces.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add ham to pan, and sauté 1 minute on each side or until lightly browned. Remove from heat; keep warm.
- Cut shortcake pieces in half horizontally. Place 1 bottom half on each of 9 plates; top each serving with 1 tablespoon salsa, 1 ham slice, and top half of shortcake. Top each serving with 2 tablespoons salsa. Garnish with cilantro sprigs, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This