Both my husband and I were very disappointed by this dish. The cornbread was very dry, and with the exception of the salsa, the whole dish was very bland. I would make the salsa again, however, and use it on grilled chicken, fish, or pork.
Corn Bread Shortcake with Ham and Fresh Peach Salsa
This dish features the down-home flavors of corn bread, smoked ham, and peaches. The dressy presentation lends itself to a memorable summer dinner. You can also try this versatile salsa with grilled pork tenderloin or duck breast.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 264
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Fat: 7.8g
- Saturated fat: 1.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Protein: 12g
- Carbohydrate: 37.3g
- Fiber: 2.7g
- Cholesterol: 51mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
- Sodium: 679mg
- Calcium: 98mg
- 3 cups diced peeled peaches
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 3 tablespoons minced shallots
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (about 2 1/4 ounces)
- 1 1/4 cups cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large egg
- Cooking spray
- Remaining ingredients:
- 9 (1 1/2-ounce) slices 33%-less-sodium smoked ham
- Cilantro sprigs (optional)
- To prepare salsa, combine the first 9 ingredients in a bowl, and toss gently. Cover and chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- To prepare shortcake, lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 4 ingredients (through salt), stirring well with a whisk. Make a well in center of mixture. Combine buttermilk, oil, and egg in a bowl; add to flour mixture. Stir just until moist. Spoon batter into an 8-inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 5 minutes on a wire rack. Turn shortcake out onto a cutting board or work surface; cut into 9 equal pieces.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add ham to pan, and sauté 1 minute on each side or until lightly browned. Remove from heat; keep warm.
- Cut shortcake pieces in half horizontally. Place 1 bottom half on each of 9 plates; top each serving with 1 tablespoon salsa, 1 ham slice, and top half of shortcake. Top each serving with 2 tablespoons salsa. Garnish with cilantro sprigs, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note