- 3 cups diced peeled peaches
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 3 tablespoons minced shallots
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (about 2 1/4 ounces)
- 1 1/4 cups cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large egg
- Cooking spray
- Remaining ingredients:
- 9 (1 1/2-ounce) slices 33%-less-sodium smoked ham
- Cilantro sprigs (optional)
- calories 264
- caloriesfromfat 27 %
- fat 7.8 g
- satfat 1.8 g
- monofat 3.8 g
- polyfat 1.6 g
- protein 12 g
- carbohydrate 37.3 g
- fiber 2.7 g
- cholesterol 51 mg
- iron 1.4 mg
- sodium 679 mg
- calcium 98 mg
How to Make It
To prepare salsa, combine the first 9 ingredients in a bowl, and toss gently. Cover and chill for 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 425°.
To prepare shortcake, lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 4 ingredients (through salt), stirring well with a whisk. Make a well in center of mixture. Combine buttermilk, oil, and egg in a bowl; add to flour mixture. Stir just until moist. Spoon batter into an 8-inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 5 minutes on a wire rack. Turn shortcake out onto a cutting board or work surface; cut into 9 equal pieces.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add ham to pan, and sauté 1 minute on each side or until lightly browned. Remove from heat; keep warm.
Cut shortcake pieces in half horizontally. Place 1 bottom half on each of 9 plates; top each serving with 1 tablespoon salsa, 1 ham slice, and top half of shortcake. Top each serving with 2 tablespoons salsa. Garnish with cilantro sprigs, if desired.