Corn Bread Oyster Stuffing
If you use fresh oysters in the shell, buy about three dozen. We opted for the preshucked variety for convenience.
Yield: 10 servings (serving size: about 1 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 230
- Calories from fat: 31%
- Fat: 8.1g
- Saturated fat: 2.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Protein: 12.3g
- Carbohydrate: 26.5g
- Fiber: 2.9g
- Cholesterol: 44mg
- Iron: 5.9mg
- Sodium: 675mg
- Calcium: 141mg
- 1 (6-ounce) package yellow corn bread mix (such as Martha White)
- 2/3 cup fat-free milk
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 2 links (about 6 ounces) andouille sausage, chopped (such as Gerhard's)
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 2 (3 1/2-ounce) packages shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and caps quartered
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
- 1 (1-pound) container standard oysters, undrained
- 4 cups cubed day-old French bread
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1/3 cup egg substitute
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Prepare corn bread mix according to package directions, using 2/3 cup fat-free milk and 2 egg whites; cool completely. Crumble to measure 3 cups; reserve remaining corn bread for another use.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375°.
- Place sausage in a food processor, and pulse until finely chopped. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add the onion and mushroom caps to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in sausage and spinach; sauté 2 minutes.
- Drain oysters, reserving 1/3 cup oyster liquor. Combine oysters, reserved oyster liquor, corn bread, spinach mixture, French bread, and remaining ingredients in a large bowl; toss well. Place mixture in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 35 minutes or until lightly browned.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles