- Corn bread:
- 4.5 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 cup)
- 1 1/4 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- Cooking spray
- 1 jalapeño pepper, halved
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 ounces Mexican chorizo, casing removed and crumbled
- 1 1/4 cups diced red bell pepper (1 large)
- 1 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 2 cups (1/2-inch) cubed French bread baguette (crusts removed)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- calories 218
- fat 8.1 g
- satfat 3.6 g
- monofat 3 g
- polyfat 0.7 g
- protein 8.9 g
- carbohydrate 27.7 g
- fiber 1.9 g
- cholesterol 53 mg
- iron 1.9 mg
- sodium 374 mg
- calcium 232 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 350°. Place a 10-inch cast-iron skillet in oven as it preheats.
To prepare corn bread, weigh or lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 6 ingredients (through eggs) in a large bowl; fold in cheese.
Remove skillet from oven. Coat pan with cooking spray. Pour batter into hot skillet. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until edges are lightly browned and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack. Crumble corn bread into a large bowl.
To prepare dressing, remove seeds and membrane from half of jalapeño. Coarsely chop both jalapeño halves. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add chorizo; sauté 2 minutes. Add jalapeño, bell pepper, and onions; sauté 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Add chorizo mixture to corn bread mixture; stir in baguette, cilantro, egg whites, and broth, stirring until bread is moist.
Spoon corn bread mixture into a 13 x 9-inch glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve with lime wedges.