- 6 bacon slices
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 medium-size green bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 (32-oz.) container chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups fresh corn kernels (6 ears)
- 1 pound fresh lump crabmeat, drained and picked*
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Oyster crackers
- Garnish: chopped fresh cilantro
How to Make It
Cook bacon in a Dutch oven over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until crisp; remove bacon, and drain on paper towels, reserving 2 Tbsp. drippings in Dutch oven. Crumble bacon.
Sauté celery and next 3 ingredients in hot drippings 5 to 6 minutes or until tender.
Whisk together broth and flour until smooth. Add to celery mixture. Stir in corn. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes. Gently stir in crabmeat and next 4 ingredients; cook 4 to 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Serve warm with crumbled bacon and oyster crackers. Garnish, if desired.
*1 lb. peeled cooked shrimp or chopped cooked chicken may be substituted.