We do not recommend freezing this recipe because it becomes too grainy.
Yield: Makes about 8 cups
More From Southern Living
- 4 bacon slices
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 medium-size baking potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 3 cups)*
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (16-oz.) package frozen whole kernel corn
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (10-oz.) can diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Salt to taste
- 1. Cook bacon in a Dutch oven over medium heat 5 minutes or until crisp. Remove bacon, and drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in Dutch oven. Crumble bacon.
- 2. Sauté onion, bell pepper, and garlic in hot drippings over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until tender. Add flour, and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute.
- 3. Stir in potatoes and next 4 ingredients, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring often, 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- 4. Stir in tomatoes and green chiles and cheese; simmer 1 minute or until cheese is melted. Season with salt to taste. Serve with crumbled bacon.
- *3 cups frozen country-style hash browns may be substituted.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note