Corn for a Crowd
Notes: If cooking more than 1 batch of corn, use tongs to lift out hot ears, then add more to boiling water. Replenish water as needed, and return to boiling before adding more corn.
Yield: Makes 12 ears; allow at least 2 or 3 for a serving
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 77
- Calories from fat: 13%
- Protein: 2.9g
- Fat: 1.1g
- Saturated fat: 0.2g
- Carbohydrate: 17g
- Fiber: 2.9g
- Sodium: 14mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 5 to 6 quarts water
- Flavor bar (recipes below)
- 12 ears of corn
- Salt and Pepper
- 1. In a covered 10- to 12-quart pan over high heat, bring 5 to 6 quarts water to a boil.
- 2. Meanwhile, pull off and discard cornhusks and silks. Immerse ears in boiling water. Cover and cook until corn is hot, 3 to 5 minutes.
- 3. Drain, or lift ears from water with tongs. Season hot corn with choices from the flavor bar, or butter ears and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Nutritional analysis for corn per ear of unseasoned corn.
- Flavor Bar--Select 1 or more of the following combinations. Each covers at least a dozen ears of corn.
- Chili salt and lime: Mix 1 tablespoon salt and 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder. Cut 3 limes into wedges. Rub corn with lime wedge, then sprinkle with chili salt to taste.
- Per serving: 1.7 cal., 53% (0.9 cal.) from fat; 0 g protein; 0.1 g fat (0 g sat.); 0.4 g carbo (0.1 g fiber); 585 mg sodium; 0 mg chol.
- Sesame teriyaki: Mix 3/4 cup purchased thick teriyaki sauce or glaze and 1 tablespoon Asian (toasted) sesame oil. In an 8- to 10-inch frying pan over medium heat, stir about 1/3 cup sesame seed until golden, about 3 minutes. Brush corn with sauce and sprinkle with sesame seed.
- Per serving: 45 cal., 56% (25 cal.) from fat; 1.7 g protein; 2.8 g fat (0.4 g sat.); 3.8 g carbo (0.6 g fiber); 691 mg sodium; 0 mg chol.
- Pesto: In a blender or food processor, combine 1 1/3 cups fresh basil leaves, 2/3 cup olive oil, 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese, and 2 cloves garlic; whirl until mixture is smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste. Spread on corn.
- Per serving: 120 cal., 98% (117 cal.) from fat; 1.2 g protein; 13 g fat (2 g sat.); 0.6 g carbo (0.4 g fiber); 41 mg sodium; 1.7 mg chol.
- Mexican cheese and chili: Mix 1/2 cup mayonnaise with 2 tablespoons milk. Put 3/4 cup finely crumbled cotija or grated parmesan cheese and 1 tablespoon ground dried California or New Mexico chilies or chili powder in individual bowls. Brush corn with mayonnaise mixture and sprinkle with cheese and chilies.
- Per serving: 86 cal., 91% (78 cal.) from fat; 1.5 g protein; 8.7 g fat (2 g sat.); 0.7 g carbo (0.1 g fiber); 141 mg sodium; 9.7 mg chol.
- Cilantro-chili-garlic butter. Mix 3/4 cup (3/8 lb.) melted butter or margarine with 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro, 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons minced fresh jalapeño chili, and 2 or 3 pressed or minced cloves garlic. Brush on corn.
- Per serving: 103 cal., 96% (99 cal.) from fat; 0.2 g protein; 11 g fat (7.2 g sat.); 0.3 g carbo (0 g fiber); 117 mg sodium; 31 mg chol.
- Lemon-thyme butter: Mix 1/2 cup (1/4 lb.) melted butter or margarine with 1/4 cup minced chives or green onions, 1 tablespoon minced fresh or 1 teaspoon dried thyme, 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel, and 2 tablespoons lemon juice. Brush butter on corn.
- Per serving: 69 cal., 100% (69 cal.) from fat; 0.1 g protein; 7.7 g fat (4.8 g sat.); 0.3 g carbo (0.1 g fiber); 79 mg sodium; 21 mg chol.
- Mustard-tarragon sauce: Mix 6 tablespoons olive oil, 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar, 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard, 1 1/2 tablespoons minced shallot, 2 teaspoons chopped fresh or 3/4 teaspoon dried tarragon, and 1 pressed or minced clove garlic. Add salt and pepper to taste. Brush on corn.
- Per serving: 64 cal., 95% (61 cal.) from fat; 0.1 g protein; 6.8 g fat (0.9 g sat.); 0.5 g carbo (0 g fiber); 45 mg sodium; 0 mg chol.
- Spiced salt: In a 6- to 8-inch frying pan over medium heat, stir 1/2 teaspoon each cumin seed, coriander seed, mustard seed, and black peppercorns until mustard seed begins to pop, about 3 minutes. Pour into a blender with 1 tablespoon coarse salt and grind to a powder. Sprinkle on buttered ears of corn.
- Per 1/4 teaspoon: 0.7 cal., 0% (0 cal.) from fat; 0 g protein; 0 g fat; 0.1 g carbo (0 g fiber); 184 mg sodium; 0 mg chol.
- Curry butter: In a 6- to 8-inch frying pan over low heat, stir 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder, 3/4 teaspoon ground coriander, and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne until spices are fragrant, about 1 minute. Add 3/4 cup (3/8 lb.) butter or margarine and stir until melted. Brush on corn.
- Per serving: 104 cal., 95% (99 cal.) from fat; 0.2 g protein; 11 g fat (7.2 g sat.); 0.5 g carbo (0.3 g fiber); 118 mg sodium; 31 mg chol.
- Dried tomato–basil butter: In a food processor, whirl 1/4 cup drained dried tomatoes packed in oil until finely chopped. Add 1/2 cup (1/4 lb.) butter or margarine (at room temperature) and 1 teaspoon dried basil; whirl to blend. Or finely chop tomatoes with a knife and mix with butter and basil in a bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste. Spread on corn.
- Per serving: 80 cal., 94% (75 cal.) from fat; 0.4 g protein; 8.3 g fat (4.8 g sat.); 1.4 g carbo (0.3 g fiber); 98 mg sodium; 21 mg chol.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Corn for a Crowd Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes Like This