Coq Au Vin Du Beaujolais
Community Recipe from
- 1 chicken thighs
- Coq Au Vin Du Beaujolais
- Epcot Food and Wine Festival, FRance (from F & W Festival cookbook)
- Serves 4.
- 2 pounds bone-in chicken parts (breasts, wings, drumsticks, thighs)
- ½ tsp coarse salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1½ ounces salt-pork fat
- 2 tbsp butter
- 6 pearl onions, peeled
- ¼ pound whole mushrooms, washed and stems trimmed
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 1 750 ml-size bottle of Beaujolais wine
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme or 2 tsp dried
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley or 2 tsp. dried
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 to 1½ cups chicken stock
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Cut the pork fat into ½ -inch cubes and place in small skillet. Cover with cold water and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Drain and pat the cubes dry with paper towels.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large, ovenproof pan, heat butter, pork fat, and pearl onions over medium-high heat on the stove top. When onions are golden brown, remove them and the pork fat with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- In the same butter, cook the mushrooms over high heat until slightly brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside with the onions.
- Saute the chicken in the same pan, over high heat until brown, about 3 minutes on each side until brown. Sprinkle the chicken with flour and place uncovered in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove chicken from the oven and reduce heat to 250 degrees. Add the garlic to the chicken and stir for 1 minute.
- Return to the stove top, add wine, and bring to a boil, stirring continuously.
- Add herbs, onions, pork fat, and mushrooms. Add stock if necessary to cover the meat completely. Cover the pan with a lid or foil and bake in oven for 1½ hours.
- Remove from oven, place chicken in a serving dish, strain sauce to remove vegetables, discard fresh herbs, and set aside. Taste sauce, adding salt and pepper if desired. If you prefer a thicker sauce, return to stovetop over medium heat. Knead together 1 TBSP butter and 1 TBSP flour and stir into sauce, whisking for 4 to 5 min.
- Serve the chicken, onion and mushrooms with the sauce and vegetables poured over it, accompanied by potatoes, rice or hot buttered noodles.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by LCherry and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Coq Au Vin Du Beaujolais Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Main Dishes