- 3 thick-cut bacon slices, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 (16-ounce) package frozen white pearl onions, thawed and drained
- 1 (3-pound) whole chicken
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 cup chopped onion (about 1 large)
- 1 (8-ounce) package mushrooms, quartered
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups dry red wine (such as pinot noir)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- calories 379
- fat 10.2 g
- satfat 3.1 g
- protein 42.5 g
- carbohydrate 29.1 g
- cholesterol 121 mg
- iron 3.3 mg
- sodium 742 mg
- caloriesfromfat 24 %
- fiber 1.6 g
- calcium 73 mg
How to Make It
Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add bacon; cook 4 minutes or until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings in pan; set bacon aside.
. Place pearl onions in a microwave-safe dish. Cover dish with lid, and microwave at HIGH 3 minutes or until tender.
. Remove and discard giblets and neck from chicken. Trim excess fat. Remove skin, and cut chicken into quarters. Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
. Add chicken and pearl onions to reserved drippings in pan, and cook 4 minutes on each side or until chicken is browned. Remove chicken from pan; keep warm.
. Add chopped onion to pan, and sauté 3 minutes or until translucent. Add mushrooms; sauté 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in garlic. Add broth, next 3 ingredients, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Return chicken to pan, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes or until chicken is done. Remove chicken from pan, and keep warm.
. Combine cornstarch and water, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Add to broth mixture, stirring with a whisk. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 2 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring constantly. Stir in reserved bacon and parsley.