Coq au Vin
Yield: Serves: 8 (serving size: 1 thigh, 1/2 cup cooked vegetables, about 1/4 cup sauce)
More From Health
Amount per serving
- Calories: 327
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.0g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.0g
- Protein: 35g
- Carbohydrate: 14g
- Fiber: 2g
- Cholesterol: 162mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 528mg
- Calcium: 52mg
- 6 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 8 ounces sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs (about 3 lb. total), skin removed
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 tsp. olive oil
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 8 ounces peeled pearl onions (about 1 3/4 cups)
- 4 cups baby arugula, for serving, optional
- 1. In a slow cooker, combine carrots, mushroom slices and bay leaves.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine flour and thyme. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Add chicken to bowl with flour mixture and toss until evenly coated. In a large skillet, warm 2 tsp. oil over medium-high heat. Add half of chicken and cook, turning once, until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to slow cooker. Repeat with remaining oil and chicken.
- 3. Add tomato paste and wine to skillet and cook, stirring and scraping up browned bits, until boiling steadily, about 1 minute. Pour over chicken. Scatter onions on top. Cover and cook on low until meat is tender, 3 to 5 hours.
- 4. Remove and discard bay leaves. With a slotted spoon, transfer chicken and vegetables to shallow bowls. Carefully pour sauce from slow cooker into a fat separator. Pour skimmed sauce over chicken; discard fat. Top with baby arugula, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note