Coq au Vin
Community Recipe from
- 4 slice(s) bacon
- 1-2 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1 whole(s) chicken (3 1/2-4 lbs.), cut into 8 pieces
- 1 cup(s) onion, chopped
- 2 stalk(s) celery, chopped
- 6 ounce(s) mushrooms, sliced
- 4 clove(s) garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cup(s) dry red wine
- 1/2 cup(s) chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 sprig(s) fresh thyme, or 1 Tbsp. ground
- 1/4 cup(s) fresh parsley, finely minced
- salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. In a large sauté pan, fry bacon until crisp over high heat. Remove bacon from pan and set aside. Add olive oil to the pan. Brown chicken pieces in hot oil. Remove chicken and set aside.
- 3. Add onions to pan. Sauté for 5 to 7 minutes, until browned. Add celery and mushrooms and sauté for 7 minutes more. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Pour wine and chicken broth into pan. Raise heat to high and scrap any bits off the bottom of the pan. Remove from heat.
- 4. Place reserved chicken pieces in a glass or ovenproof casserole dish. Pour wine-vegetable mixture over chicken. Add by leaf and thyme. Crumble reserved bacon over chicken. Season the casserole, uncovered, in the oven. Bake 1½ to 2 hours. (Chicken is cooked when a leg or thigh is cut into and the juices run clear.)
- 5. Remove chicken to a platter, keeping it warm. Remove bay leaf. Transfer sauce to a saucepan and place over high heat. Bring sauce to a boil and reduce by half, about 10 minutes. Add parsley. Season sauce with salt and pepper. Pour sauce over chicken.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by robinarroyave and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes