Coq au Vin
This is a classic French dish of chicken, mushrooms, onions, and herbs braised in red wine. The rich, savory sauce created during cooking is the most flavorful part of the dish. We suggest serving it with French bread so you can soak up the sauce.
More From Oxmoor House
- Calories: 379
- Fat: 10.2g
- Saturated fat: 3.1g
- Protein: 42.5g
- Carbohydrate: 29.1g
- Cholesterol: 121mg
- Iron: 3.3mg
- Sodium: 742mg
- Calories from fat: 24%
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Calcium: 73mg
- 3 thick-cut bacon slices, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 (16-ounce) package frozen white pearl onions, thawed and drained
- 1 (3-pound) whole chicken
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 cup chopped onion (about 1 large)
- 1 (8-ounce) package mushrooms, quartered
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups dry red wine (such as pinot noir)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add bacon; cook 4 minutes or until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings in pan; set bacon aside.
- . Place pearl onions in a microwave-safe dish. Cover dish with lid, and microwave at HIGH 3 minutes or until tender.
- . Remove and discard giblets and neck from chicken. Trim excess fat. Remove skin, and cut chicken into quarters. Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- . Add chicken and pearl onions to reserved drippings in pan, and cook 4 minutes on each side or until chicken is browned. Remove chicken from pan; keep warm.
- . Add chopped onion to pan, and sauté 3 minutes or until translucent. Add mushrooms; sauté 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in garlic. Add broth, next 3 ingredients, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Return chicken to pan, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes or until chicken is done. Remove chicken from pan, and keep warm.
- . Combine cornstarch and water, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Add to broth mixture, stirring with a whisk. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 2 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring constantly. Stir in reserved bacon and parsley.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note