Ah, this sounds so beautifuly comforting and relatively inexpesive to make. Now, I will anxiously wait for the cooler weather to start the oven - will post true results then.
Coq au Vin
This classic French dish makes a hearty one-dish meal on a cold winter night.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 3 ounces cooked chicken, 1 cup potato mixture, and 1/2 cup rice)
More From Oxmoor House
Amount per serving
- Calories: 428
- Fat: 9.5g
- Saturated fat: 3.1g
- Protein: 31.2g
- Carbohydrate: 53.4g
- Cholesterol: 76mg
- Iron: 4.3mg
- Sodium: 702mg
- Calories from fat: 20%
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Calcium: 64mg
- 3 slices center-cut bacon
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 1/2 pounds skinless chicken pieces
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can beef broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 pound small shallots (about 12)
- 8 garlic cloves
- 1 (16-ounce) package baby carrots
- 3/4 pound small red potatoes, quartered (about 6)
- 1 (8-ounce) package whole mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 3 cups cooked hot long-grain rice
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp; drain on paper towels, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Coarsely crumble bacon; set aside.
- Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add chicken; seal and shake well to coat.
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons bacon drippings in pan over medium-high heat until hot. Add half of chicken, shaking off excess flour. Cook 5 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove chicken from pan; place in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Repeat procedure with remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons drippings and chicken; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Add broth and next 4 ingredients to pan; scrape pan to loosen browned bits. Bring to a boil; cook 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Arrange carrot, potato, and mushrooms around chicken in baking dish; sprinkle vegetables with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Pour broth mixture over chicken and vegetables. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour. Uncover and pour wine over chicken and vegetables; sprinkle with bacon. Cover and bake an additional 30 minutes or until chicken is done. Serve over rice.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note