Coq au Vin
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 281
- Calories from fat: 25%
- Protein: 40g
- Fat: 7.8g
- Saturated fat: 1.9g
- Carbohydrate: 9.8g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Sodium: 463mg
- Cholesterol: 135mg
- 2 1/2 pounds chicken legs and thighs
- 2 slices turkey bacon (1 oz. total), chopped
- 1 cup frozen small whole onions (about 5 oz.), thawed
- 12 ounces sliced mushrooms (about 4 cups)
- 2 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme (each about 2 in. long), rinsed
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Salt and pepper
- 1. Remove and discard skin from chicken; rinse chicken and pat dry. Pull off and discard lumps of fat; with a sharp knife, separate legs and thighs.
- 2. In a 4- to 6-quart pan over high heat, stir bacon until browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Add onions and mushrooms and stir often until browned, 5 to 6 minutes. Add chicken, broth, wine, mustard, and thyme. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until chicken is no longer pink at the bone (cut to test), 20 to 25 minutes.
- 3. With a slotted spoon, remove chicken from pan and divide equally among four bowls. Increase heat to high and boil liquid and vegetables to concentrate flavors, about 5 minutes.
- 4. In a small bowl, blend cornstarch with 2 tablespoons water until smooth. Add to broth mixture and stir until it boils and thickens, about 1 minute. Add salt and pepper to taste. Spoon sauce equally over chicken.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes