Cool as a Cucumber Soup with Shrimp
- 3 pounds English cucumbers
- 1/4 cup kosher salt or 2 tablespoons table salt
- 1 quart buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2/3 cup chopped fresh dillweed
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup finely minced shallots
- 1/2 pound medium-size fresh shrimp, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup dry vermouth
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup diced tomato
- 1/2 cup razor red onions*
- Garnish: dillweed sprigs
- Peel cucumbers. Cut into 1/2-inch pieces; toss cucumber with salt, and transfer to a colander placed over a bowl. Cover and chill up to 8 hours.
- Transfer cucumber to a food processor or blender, discarding all liquid. Puree until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides. Whisk in buttermilk, pepper, and dillweed. Pour mixture into a large bowl. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add shallots, and cook 1 minute. Add shrimp, and cook 30 seconds. Add vermouth; bring to a boil, and immediately strain liquid into cucumber mixture. Place shrimp mixture in a bowl; cover and chill shrimp mixture and cucumber mixture.
- Stir vinegar into cucumber mixture. Divide shrimp mixture evenly among individual soup bowls. Ladle soup over shrimp, and serve with diced tomato and razor red onions. Garnish, if desired.
- *Razor red onions are red onions sliced paper thin and tossed with a pinch of sugar and enough lemon juice to coat. Prepare 1 to 2 hours ahead, and toss occasionally until softened and pink.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Cool as a Cucumber Soup with Shrimp Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Main Dishes, Soups/Stews
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining
- CUISINE: American
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Dairy, Shellfish, Vegetables
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Gluten-Free
- COOKING METHOD: Blender, Food Processor
- OCCASION: Spring, Summer, Labor Day, Memorial Day, Mother's Day, Birthdays/Anniversaries
- PUBLICATION: Coastal Living
More Recipes for Main Dishes