Cookies on a Stick
More From Southern Living
Freeze: 30 Minutes
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Wooden craft sticks or lollipop sticks
- Easy Microwave Frosting
- Decorations: colored sugar, pastel nonpareils, pastel confetti, pastel eggs, pastel jimmies
- Beat butter and sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer about 5 minutes or until creamy. Add egg yolks and vanilla, beating until blended. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to butter mixture, beating until blended after each addition. Cover and freeze 30 minutes.
- Roll dough to a 3/8-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Cut desired shapes using favorite seasonal cutters; place on lightly greased baking sheets, allowing space for craft sticks. Insert 1 craft stick into bottom of each cookie.
- Bake at 350° for 10 to 16 minutes or until edges are golden. (Baking times may vary with different cookie shapes and sizes.) Cool 5 minutes on baking sheets. Slip a metal spatula under cookies to loosen; cool completely on baking sheets.
- Spread a generous amount of Easy Microwave Frosting where each stick and cookie are joined to ensure stability. Let dry about 30 minutes. Spread a thin layer of Easy Microwave Frosting on front side of each cookie, and sprinkle with desired decorations before frosting dries; then dry completely. Store in a cool, dry place.
- Chocolate Cookies on a Stick: Reduce all-purpose flour to 1 3/4 cups, and add 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa. Proceed with recipe as directed.
- Note: Do not substitute refrigerated cookie dough for this recipe. It contains leavening and tends to spread as it bakes, distorting cookie shapes.
Yields will vary depending on the sizes and shapes of your cookie cutters.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note