- 1 (8-ounce) package yellow rice
- 1 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 2 pounds mussels, scrubbed and debearded (about 32 mussels)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup finely chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1/3 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- calories 412
- fat 6.3 g
- satfat 1.1 g
- protein 32.6 g
- carbohydrate 55.4 g
- cholesterol 64 mg
- iron 11.9 mg
- sodium 742 mg
- caloriesfromfat 14 %
- fiber 1.5 g
- calcium 65 mg
How to Make It
Cook rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
Combine water, bay leaf, and quartered onion in a large Dutch oven; bring to a boil over medium-low heat. Add mussels; cover and simmer 6 minutes or until shells open. Remove pan from heat; drain mussels. Discard any unopened shells. Remove top half of shell from each mussel; discard. Place mussels on a serving platter; keep warm.
Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium- high heat. Add bell pepper, chopped onion, and jalapeño pepper; sauté 4 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat; stir in vinegar.
Spoon 1 cup rice into 4 shallow soup bowls. Divide mussels evenly among bowls of rice. Sprinkle pepper mixture evenly over mussels.