- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/2 green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 4- or 4.5-oz. can chopped green chiles, drained
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups coarse cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 teaspoons minced seeded jalapeño
- calories 148
- fat 6 g
- satfat 3 g
- protein 3 g
- carbohydrate 20 g
- fiber 1 g
- cholesterol 39 mg
- sodium 303 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 375°F. Generously mist a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
Warm oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté red and green bell peppers until softened, about 4 minutes. Stir in green chiles, remove from heat and cool slightly.
Whisk flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Whisk milk, eggs and butter in a separate bowl until smooth. Stir milk mixture into flour mixture to blend. Stir in bell pepper mixture and jalapeño. Do not overmix. Pour batter into pan, smooth top and bake until edges are brown and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool. Serve with butter.