- 1/3 cup diced pancetta
- 1 medium onion, cut in half crosswise and sliced into 1/4-inch wedges
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces uncooked conchiglie rigate (small seashell pasta)
- 8 teaspoons grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- calories 206
- fat 3.5 g
- satfat 1.4 g
- protein 7.6 g
- carbohydrate 36 g
- fiber 3.2 g
- cholesterol 7 mg
- iron 1.8 mg
- sodium 342 mg
- calcium 47 mg
How to Make It
Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add pancetta; sauté 2 minutes or until browned. Add onion and garlic; reduce heat to medium, and cook 7 minutes or until onion is lightly browned. Add tomatoes, red pepper, and salt; simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes.
While sauce simmers, cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain pasta, and return to pan. Add sauce, and toss to coat. Spoon pasta into individual bowls, and sprinkle with cheese.
Amatriciana (ah-mah-tree-CHAH-nah), a tomato-based sauce with pancetta, garlic, and crushed red pepper, is named for the small town of Amatrice. It's perfect served over conchiglie (con-KEE-lyay).