Very good. A family favorite
Company Pot Roast with Creamy Mushroom Grits
Bacon, garlic, and red wine imbue humble chuck roast with robust character and rich beef-bourguignon flavor as the meat transforms in the slow cooker. Serve sliced or in chunks over Creamy Mushroom Grits.
More From Southern Living
Total: 9 Hours
- 6 medium leeks
- 4 thick bacon slices
- 1 (4- to 4 1/2-lb.) boneless chuck roast, trimmed
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 4-inch sticks
- 1 pound parsnips, cut into 4-inch sticks
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Creamy Mushroom Grits
- Garnish: fresh flat-leaf parsley sprigs
- 1. Remove and discard root ends and dark green tops of leeks. Cut a slit lengthwise, and rinse thoroughly under cold running water to remove grit and sand. Place leeks in a lightly greased 5- to 6-qt. slow cooker.
- 2. Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat 6 to 8 minutes or until crisp. Remove bacon, and drain on paper towels, reserving 3 Tbsp. hot drippings in skillet. Crumble bacon.
- 3. Sprinkle roast with pepper and salt. Add olive oil to hot drippings in skillet. Place roast in skillet, and cook over medium-high heat 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Transfer roast to slow cooker, reserving 1 Tbsp. drippings in skillet.
- 4. Add garlic to hot drippings, and sauté 30 seconds. Add brown sugar, stirring until sugar melts. Add wine and balsamic vinegar, and cook 2 minutes, stirring to loosen particles from bottom of skillet. Pour mixture over roast, and top with carrots and parsnips.
- 5. Cover and cook on LOW 8 to 10 hours or until meat shreds easily with a fork.
- 6. Transfer roast to a cutting board; cut into large chunks, removing any large pieces of fat. Transfer roast and vegetables to a platter, and keep warm.
- 7. Skim fat from juices in slow cooker, and transfer juices to a 2-qt. saucepan. Add broth, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir together cornstarch and 2 Tbsp. water in a small bowl until smooth; add to pan, stirring until blended. Boil 1 minute. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve gravy with roast and vegetables over Creamy Mushroom Grits. Top with crumbled bacon.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note