I have made this a couple times, and enjoy it, but do find that it is a little bland. I might try the adding onion soup dry mix next time. It is a great, healthy easy meal though.
Company Pot Roast
You may substitute dried shiitake mushrooms for the morels in this pot roast dish. Leftover meat and gravy make great hot roast beef sandwiches the next day.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 318
- Fat: 6.8g
- Saturated fat: 1.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 30.5g
- Carbohydrate: 33.1g
- Fiber: 5.2g
- Cholesterol: 40mg
- Iron: 3.9mg
- Sodium: 552mg
- Calcium: 70mg
- 1 (2-pound) boneless chuck roast, trimmed and cut in half
- 1/4 cup lower-sodium soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 (.35-ounce) package dried morels
- 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
- 3 tablespoons sun-dried tomato paste
- 2 medium onions (about 3/4 pound), quartered
- 1 (16-ounce) package carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 16 small red potatoes (about 2 pounds), halved
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons water
- Rosemary sprigs (optional)
- 1. Combine roast, soy sauce, and garlic in a large zip-top plastic bag; seal bag, and marinate in refrigerator at least 8 hours, turning bag occasionally.
- 2. Bring broth to a boil in a small saucepan; add mushrooms. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 20 minutes. Drain mushrooms through a cheesecloth-lines colander over a bowl, reserving broth mixture.
- 3. Remove roast from bag, reserving marinade. Sprinkle roast with pepper, gently pressing pepper into roast. Combine reserved marinade, mushroom broth mixture, and tomato paste; stir well, and set aside.
- 4. Place mushrooms, onion, carrot and potato in a 6-quart electric slow cooker; toss gently.
- 5. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add roast, browing well on all sides. Place roast over vegetables in slow cooker. Pour tomato paste mixture into pan, scraping to loosen browned bits. Pour tomato paste mixture over roast and vegetables. Cover with lid; cook on high-heat setting 1 hour. Reduce to low-heat setting, and cook 8 hours or until roast is tender. Place roast and vegetables on a serving platter; keep warm. Reserve liquid in slow cooker; increase to high-heat setting.
- 6. Place flour in a small bowl. Gradually add water, stirring with a whisk until well blended. Add flour mixture to liquid in slow cooker. Cook, uncovered, 15 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring frequently. Serve gravy with roast and vegetables.
This recipe has been retested for Cooking Light Slow Cooker Tonight, 2012
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes