Company Beef Stew
- 1 (3-pound) boneless chuck roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 bacon slices, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 pound baby carrots
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen pearl onions
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 (8-ounce) package fresh mushrooms
- Mashed Potato Bowls
- Garnishes: fresh thyme sprigs, fresh chives
- Combine first 8 ingredients in a shallow dish or heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag. Combine wine and oil; pour over meat mixture. Cover or seal, and chill 1 hour. Drain well, reserving marinade.
- Cook bacon in a Dutch oven until crisp; remove bacon, reserving drippings in pan. Drain bacon on paper towels; place in a zip-top plastic bag, and freeze.
- Brown beef in reserved drippings. Drain and return to pan; sprinkle with flour, and cook, stirring constantly, 1 to 2 minutes. Add reserved marinade and broth; bring to a boil.
- Bake, covered, at 300° for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until beef is tender. Add carrots and onions; bake 30 more minutes.
- Melt butter in a large skillet; add mushrooms, and sauté until tender. Add to beef mixture. Cool and spoon into a freezer container; freeze up to 1 month.
- Remove bacon and stew from freezer; thaw in refrigerator overnight. Place stew in a Dutch oven; cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Serve in Mashed Potato Bowls. Sprinkle with bacon, and garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note