- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lard or bacon drippings
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup large-diced country ham
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh collard greens, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 2 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 (14-oz.) jar mild kimchi, drained and chopped
How to Make It
Melt butter with lard in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat until butter begins to foam. Add onion; sauté 3 to 5 minutes or until onion just begins to brown. Add ham, and sauté 3 minutes.
Stir in collards and next 2 ingredients. Cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, to desired degree of doneness (about 10 to 30 minutes, depending on your color and tenderness preference. Collards should be a vibrant green and tender but still have a little chew to them at 10 minutes).
Add vinegar, and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Transfer mixture to a large bowl, and toss with kimchi. Serve immediately.